Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Facebooker likes it "in the hall, by the front door"

My eyebrows shot up the other day when one of my Facebook friends, a mom and an official at a local university, posted a status update informing the world that she: "Likes it in the hall, by the front door." And that was all. I started to ask what that meant, but frankly, I was chicken. Hey, Facebook is a public forum, after all! Turns out the explanation was totally G-rated, and the latest attention-grabbing meme making the Facebook rounds. As I understand it, in this case, women are posting status updates about where they like to put their purses. (A female colleague guessed it immediately when I told her what I'd read. Guys are slow, I guess).

It was designed, apparently, by some anonymous Facebooker to draw attention to Breast Cancer Awareness month, which rolls around every October. It's similar to an earlier meme where women simply posted their bra colors so men would ask what was going on, and thus draw their attention from breasts to breast cancer awareness. As one woman points out, however, clever though the latest one is, you wonder how it draws attention to the cause. All it does it make guys think their female friends have suddenly turned X-rated on them for no apparent reason, then they get a chuckle when they discover the real purpose. A tad odd. Seems it would make more sense if all these suggestive status updates were accompanied by a link to a reputable site or organization where you could learn more or make a donation. Just sayin'...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

... zZZZz

Anonymous said...

I've been wondering what this was about!

jd said...

I'm with you there Eric. These new memes do nothing to further awareness, they only shock.

This month, I updated my facebook profile pic to that of a bra (when seen in the thumbnail) but if you click on the entire pic, you see the link to a website that allows bra donations for women in need.

Most who accept donated clothing don't accept bras and this is an innovative concept.

My profile pic is meant to intrigue and is a call for action.

(btw, you just gave me an idea for a blog post!)

Anonymous said...

why is this not disqus?

we were told that all the comments would be the same system after the switch.

nothing seems to have changed. very disappointing.

Anonymous said...

You are still talking about Breast Cancer awareness and people are trying to figure out what it means so it is still getting the word out! So I say if "us" ladies want to have a little fun with it...no harm done!

Anonymous said...

we dont need no disqus, etc...

tired of 'registering' yet another ridiculous time...